NOTE! JU Institute of Sociology conducts studies in Polish.
In our offer you will find many English-language courses that are part of the study programmes and those dedicated to Erasmus+ students, but to take up studies, you have to demonstrate knowledge of the Polish language.
Characteristics of the studies
- BA degree programm at the Institute of Sociology has been for years the only field at the Jagiellonian University offering extensive academic knowledge enabling the description and understanding of social phenomena
- The study programm is based on the latest sociological knowledge allowing to learn about the history and theory of the discipline as well as the latest research undertaken by contemporary sociologists in Poland and abroad
- Students acquire knowledge, apply it and develop competences of critical reflection and research, analytical and social skills related to the professional and social role of a sociologist
- Courses are held in the form of, among others, lectures, seminars, workshops, research and interdisciplinary camps, interbranch workshops
- An important part of the studies are also professional traineeship, facilitating future professional work
Thanks to our studies
- You will understand how function the modern society, its individual institutions, entities, processes and how the media influence us, what is power, what kind of function has religion today, etc.
- You will gain the ability to analyze and explain human behavior, both those that occur in small and large social groups
- You will be able to design and conduct social research and present its results to various audiences
- You will learn to think critically, analyze carefully and creatively design solutions, which is especially appreciated by employers!
- The study programm will allow you to flexibly shape your study path
- A significant part of the courses are the so-called optional courses chosen individually by students
This means that you can independently profile your studies in terms of your own interests. You decide what and how you want to study!
- At the same time, the base in the form of compulsory courses provides solid sociological knowledge and guarantees the highest quality of education
- This is confirmed by the annual Perspektywy Rankings in which we have been for years in the top three best sociologies in Poland! In edition 2022 we took 2nd place again!
Diversity and engagement
- Sociology is a field of sicence that looks at society through different prisms. This multiplicity of views is reflected in our course offer
- You will find blocks of classes devoted to, among others, communication and media, culture, economy, inequality and social exclusion, gender, development, education, urban issues etc.
- We will teach you to look at contemporary society from both the micro and macro level, seeing human relationships, but also structures and institutions
- What we have in common is commitment - we really love what we do (often not only at the University but also outside of it)!
Solid research preparation
- We give our students a specific dose of knowledge and skills in the field of empirical social research - both quantitative and qualitative
- Our courses include both practical aspects of qualitative research (e.g. conducting focus groups) and statistical analysis. Courses that will teach you to use computer programs in social research and those that will show the uses of photography and film in the research process
- We know from experience that in order to acquire certain skills, one has to TRY. And we encourage our students to "trying" ourselves as a researcher. This is achieved by research camps - special practical courses during which students carry out specific research projects and application tasks (often in cooperation with companies, institutions, etc.)
Actively and practically
- Most of our courses are workshops - we focus on active teaching and learning methods!
- During the classes we use films, analyze research results, use photography, discuss in groups, design, implement our ideas and test them in practice
- Sociological inspirations are also looking for outside the Institute, incl. in museums or in the cinema (e.g. as part of the film discussion club), but also by walking and getting to know the space, cooperating with the local community
- We also engage in professional work - from the second semester of studies carry out professional traineeship in selected companies, institutions and non-governmental organizations, and in the third year they have the opportunity to learn the practical application of sociological knowledge with labor market experts as part of the Sociology in Action course
- Graduates of BA degree in sociology are prepared to perform a wide range of professional and social roles with a sociological profile, as well as to continue their studies at the MA degree programm - which we encourage you to do!
In order to complete sociology studies with a bachelor's degree, it is necessary to obtain at least 180 ECTS credits within three years. The sum of the ECTS credits obtained in one year should amount to at least 60 ECTS.
During the three years of study, students are required to:
- complete all compulsory directional courses
- complete 40 hours of tutorial
- do 120 hours of foreign language course at a minimum B2 level
- undergo training with Health and Safety at Work course
- complete 60 hours of physical education classes
- carry out 120 hours of traineeship
- choose from the offer of optional classes:
- minimum five courses in the field of detailed sociology
- at least one research camp
- at least one course from the offer of trans- and interdisciplinary workshops
- a sufficient number of thematic optional courses
- Sociology in Action thematic block
- Completion of the bachelor's seminar
- Writing a thesis
- Passing the diploma examination
IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT BA DEGREE STUDIES AT JU INSTITUTE OF SOCIOLOGY, SEE HERE
Head of studies in the field of sociology
Professor Andrzej Bukowski