NOTE! JU Institute of Sociology conducts studies in Polish.
In our offer you will find many English-language courses that are part of the study programmes and those dedicated to Erasmus+ students, but to take up studies, you have to demonstrate knowledge of the Polish language.
- MA degree sociological studies at the Institute of Sociology has been for years the only field at the Jagiellonian University directly devoted to the discipline of sociology and covering its full scope
- The study program is based on the latest sociological knowledge in the field of sociological theory and methodology, strongly rooted in the contemporary socio-economic context
- MA degree sociology studies are based on two paths: general sociology and profiled specializations, within which specific areas of sociology are analyzed in a detailed, multifaceted and open manner for other disciplines
- The studies enable participants to acquire advanced knowledge and skills related to the professional and social role of a sociologist
- Teaching takes place in the mode of lectures, tutorials, seminars, workshops and other forms corresponding to the learning outcomes of individual courses and modules
- The highest quality of education at JU Institute of Sociology is confirmed by the annual Perspektywy Rankings in which we have been in the top three of the best sociologies in Poland for years! In edition 2022 we took 2nd place again!
The MA degree programm of sociology at the Institute of Sociology enables:
- Selection of one of the specializations offered as part of the specialization path:
- Data analysis and social research
- Social Communication
- Digital Society
- Selection of the overall social path
It is also possible so-called Individual Study Plan, which consists in the construction of the student's own learning path, clearly not fitting into any of the offered paths. It is constructed together with a tutor who supports the scientific development and education process of students on the path of general sociology.
Students choose the general sociology or specialization path (one of the specializations) at the MA degree studies by completing and signing DECLARATION OF CHOICE OF EDUCATIONAL PATH while enrolling in studies.
MA degree sociological education at the Institute of Sociology of the Jagiellonian University covers the issues of contemporary sociology: from formal methods and advanced data analysis, through qualitative and anthropological research, to sociological theory and participation in the most important social and humanistic debates of the present day.
The MA degree program has two components:
- Basic, compulsory and optional courses, common to all students of sociology (for 59 ECTS)
- Courses constituting a substantive extension of core courses (for 61 ECTS) - general or specialization
- Compulsory and optional, common to all students of sociology
- It is a canon of sociological and general academic courses on sociological theory, methodology, access to information and its protection in social research, financing and dissemination of science, philosophy and a scientific workshop
- All students of sociology also complete the obligatory Health and Safety at Work training, tutorial, master's seminar and foreign language course at B2+ level (1st year of study), which ends with an exam
- Within two years, students are also required to complete an appropriate number of selected thematic courses:
- three in Polish for min. 9 ECTS
- at least one in English
Courses that add to the base courses
- Compulsory and optional on the selected path are implemented in accordance with the program of the path and specialization
The general sociological path and each of the specializations have their own separate programmes. The quality of teaching on the general sociological path and within each specialization is supervised by coordinators who play the role of tutors.
- Passing the oral diploma examination
- Writing and submitting the thesis
- Completion of courses in the amount of 120 ECTS points
A general sociological path
- Choosing a general sociological path allows to acquire, supplement and deepen knowledge and competences methodological in the area of sociological sciences
- The path is supplementing the knowledge acquired both at the BA degree of education in the field of sociology, as well as in other courses of the BA and MA degree
- The aim of general sociological education at the MA degree is development of sociological imagination and methodological competence, by individualizing the program and enabling students to join the work of research teams (incl. participation in conceptual and field work, analysis and interpretation of results)
As part of the specialization path, it is possible to develop advanced knowledge and professional competences, focused on highly valued skills in the labor market. A student may choose one of three specializations:
Data analysis and social research
Choosing a path allows you to gain specialist knowledge in the field of social research design as well as data analysis and interpretation
See: Plan of studies: Data analysis and social research - cycle 2022/2023
Choosing the path allows you to gain specialist knowledge in the field of analyzing and strategically designing social communication, taking into account all levels of social life and a variety of channels, technologies and communication goals
Choosing the path allows you to gain specialist knowledge in the field of description and analysis of the dynamics of change and social processes related to the development of new technologies.
IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT MA DEGREE STUDIES AT JU INSTITUTE OF SOCIOLOGY, SEE HERE
Head of studies in the field of sociology
Professor Andrzej Bukowski